Explore our promoted experiences
- Day trip from Veracruz to El Tajín and Papantla
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage–listed archaeological ruins of El Tajín
- See key structures like the Pyramid of the Niches and Plaza del Arroyo
- Tour the Totanac city of Papantla
- Learn about Papantla’s famous Dance of the Flyers, a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage-listed tradition
- Round-trip transport from your Veracruz hotel included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
What To Expect
Follow your informative guide around the UNESCO-listed archaeological site and walk around the ruins to check out the pyramids and plazas. Learn about an ancient game that was played on the ball courts by the Totanac people, and see the most significant structures: the Plaza del Arroyo, the palaces of Tajín Chico and the Pyramid of the Niches.
Next, drive to the city of Papantla. After refueling with lunch (own expense), start your tour and see the city sights including the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción (Our Lady of the Assumption), built in the late 1500s.
Papantla also is known for the Danza de los Voladores, or Dance of the Flyers, a spectacle that dates back to Mesoamerica. After ascending a tall pole, the ‘flying men’ release into the air headfirst with ropes wound tightly around their ankles, twirling for onlookers.
Learn about another icon of Papantla, vanilla, which has been grown here since the time of the Totanacs.
Your day trip ends with transport back to your hotel in Veracruz.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- OPERATED BY Amigo Tours Mexico
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- "A long day trip from Heroica Veracruz lasting almost four hours each way but well worth it for us." See review