- Full-day tour of Mt. Etna and the Alcantara Gorges from Taormina
- Enjoy panoramic views over Italy’s volcanic landscape from the Rifugio Sapienza
- Explore lava caves and hiking routes in the Parco dell’Etna with a guide
- Sample locally made honey, olive oil, and wine in Zafferana Etnea
- Discover ancient lava formations and clear pools in the Alcantara Gorges
- Tour includes round-trip travel from your Taormina hotel
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
From the Rifugio Sapienza enjoy an optional trek (payable locally at own expense) into the Parco dell’Etna to an altitude of 6,561 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level. From here, continue onward via cable car and off-road vehicle (payable locally at own expense) to the Torre del Filosofo at 9,514 feet (2,900 meters). Marvel at sweeping views over the craters and ancient lava flows of Mt. Etna, then return to Rifugio Sapienza by minibus and cable car.
Next, strap on your helmet and explore a lava cave in the Parco dell’Etna with your guide. Along the way, admire ancient rock formations in the molten landscape and gain insight into the Parco dell’Etna’s complex geology.
Sample honey, olive oil, wine, and other traditional Italian products at an organic farm in Zafferana Etnea. Then, continue on to the Alcantara Gorges—home to a series of pools and bays hidden among high cliffs.
Follow your guide along the winding trails and admire the ruins of Francavilla Castle. As you explore, discover rich lava formations eroded over millions of years by the gorges’ running waters.
When your time in the Alcantara Gorges comes to an end, return to your starting point in Taormina to conclude your tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY EtnaTribe
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience