Explore our promoted experiences
- Tour the archeological ruins of Xunantunich with a knowledgeable guide
- Visit six plazas and dozens of temples as you learn about the Maya
- Climb El Castillo pyramid and enjoy exceptional views from the summit
- Round-trip hotel transport by comfortable coach included
Departure & Return
Ground floor of Elviras Building by Ervas Restaurant
What To Expect
Once inside the site, you'll be shuttled up to the excavated city, which was strategically built atop a plateau for defensive views of the surrounding valley. Stop at the visitor center for a brief overview of Xunantunich. Over the next two hours, you'll explore the archaeological site by foot, learning about the daily life and ceremonial practices of its inhabitants.
The ruins exhibit the complex social structure of the Mayans, with residential palaces, civic structures, and a ball court, all organized around a series of plazas. Impossible to miss is the impressive El Castillo temple that rises 130 feet (40 meters) above the central plaza. Towering over the treetops of the surrounding jungle, it is one of the tallest buildings in all of Belize. Climb up a series of stone staircases and through hollow chambers to the top of the temple for stunning 360-degree views of the Belize River Valley. You can even see into neighboring Guatemala. Plus the call of resident birds and howler monkeys provides an exotic soundtrack to your exploration.
After touring the ruins, rest your feet and relax over a traditional Belizean lunch at a local restaurant. You will then be dropped off back at your San Ignacio hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended you wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Please note: a minimum of 2 passengers is required in order for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Belize Family Adventure
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "I recommend this for individuals or groups that want to understand centuries old Mayan culture in Belize but don't want to go on the extensive hike experienced at location as Tikal." See review