- Full-day hiking tour to Rio Celeste from La Fortuna
- Spot native Costa Rican wildlife with the help of a guide
- Hike to the beautiful Rio Celeste in Tenorio Volcano National Park
- See where the bright-blue river changes color due to a reaction of volcanic minerals
- Soak in naturally warm river pools and see a tropical waterfall
- Savor a fresh Costa Rican lunch
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
La Fortuna Bus terminal, Street 468
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
The effort is well worth it when you reach the beautiful, bright-blue waters of Rio Celeste (Blue River). The otherworldly hue is thanks to converging volcanic minerals from two different rivers, resulting in a rare and photogenic chemical reaction. Snap pictures from a lookout point, admire a tropical waterfall, and see the point where the river changes color. You also have a chance to soak in natural warm-water river pools if you like.
After exploring this fairytale-like landscape, replenish your energy with a delicious lunch of typical Costa Rican cuisine. Relax on the return drive to La Fortuna, where the full-day tour concludes with drop-off back at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Vegetarian option is available
- 4-hour medium-tough hike is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Red Lava TSC
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms