- Downtown Chicago art-deco walking tour
- Learn of Chicago's influence on the international Art Deco movement
- Discover the opulent exteriors and interiors of the Roaring '20s Jazz Deco buildings
- Trace the history of this short-lived but lively architectural heritage
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Start your art deco exploration of Chicago at least 15 minutes before your tour begins at the Chicago Architecture Center, located at 111 E. Wacker Dr. Then head out with your guide to begin your architecture immersion, starting with a history lesson.
The art deco style evolved during the period between World War I and World War II, referring more generally to a range of design movements that coalesced between the 1920s and 30s. Art deco design is known more generally for its geometric designs and its simplicity, frequently paired with bright colors and basic shapes that embraced the rising role of business and technology on the modern world. Art deco's influence touched everything from architecture to painting to sculpting and furniture design, spanning luxury objects created with exotic materials to mass-produced goods found in every home and office of the day, to the many buildings that defined the Chicago skyline.
During the course of your walk you'll stop to admire a range of exteriors and interiors that define this architectural heyday of the art deco and art moderne movements. The Jazz Age buildings of Chicago include a range of both stark cube-shaped and sleek streamlined structures, ranging from office buildings to apartment residences that dominated Chicago's downtown until the 1950s.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The Chicago Architecture Center or CAC (formerly the Chicago Architecture Foundation, CAF) is at the south end of the Magnificent Mile near the intersection of Michigan and Wacker.
- Tour Guides are trained and certified by the CAC. As volunteers, they are exceptionally motivated, enthusiastic, and capable interpreters of Chicago's world-class architectural legacy. CAC tours are the real deal - narrated, but not scripted, led by Chicago enthusiasts.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Chicago Architecture Center
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff