Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Big Island nighttime adventure
- Kayak along the Kona coast and snorkel with Hawaiian manta rays
- Watch the manta rays feed on plankton
- All kayaking and snorkeling equipment and instruction are included in the tour
Departure & Return
Departure Point: Tour check in and departs from Keauhou Bay Boat Ramps Just past the entrance to the Keauhou Sheraton Hotel on Kaleiopapa St. Check in times vary.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Upon setting out for this 1.5-hour tour, you’ll receive the kayaking and snorkeling equipment at check in and go over some basic safety, before launching out along with your guide in search of the famous rays. Eventually, once you see the surface churning with the flimsy tips of their wings, or see a dark shadow moving towards your kayak in the shape of a massive ray, it’s time to grab your snorkeling gear and prepare for the time of your life.
These manta rays are most active at night and in the hour just before sunset, as they feed on plankton rising towards the surface, which only takes place at night. To bring the rays closer, your guide will use an underwater light to attract the clusters of plankton, which in turn attracts the manta rays as they swim and feed all around you. Depending upon the level of activity and the overall number of mantas, you may end up paddling to a different spot in search of greater numbers. This is one of the great parts of snorkeling from a kayak since it allows you the ability to be flexible.
At the end of the tour, your guide will lead you on the short paddle back to Keauhou Bay.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- For safety reasons, you MUST provide contact information in the Special Requirements box at check-out
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- There is a weight limit to the kayaks. So your estimated body weight should be disclosed to ensure your safety.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Aloha Kayak Co
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Manta Ray - Night Kayak & Snorkel Adventure at Keauhou Bay, Big Island HI.
- "I was nervous about the kayak, but they made everything easy and fun!" See review