San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)
Immerse yourself in 18th century baroque Venice with a performance of Vivaldi’sFour Seasons performed by the acclaimed San Marco Chamber Orchestra in a magnificent setting just off St. Mark’s Square. A visit to Venice just isn’t complete without taking in a live classical music performance. Tickets can be prebooked online, or they can be purchased at the door if the concert is not sold out.
Things to Know Before You Go
Attend a Vivaldi concert in the city the famed composer was born.
Seeing a concert is a must-do activity for classical music lovers and opera fans.
Seating is first come, first served, so arrive early to guarantee a good seat.
Dress is business/smart casual and not formal.
How to Get There
The San Marco Chamber Orchestra performs in one of Venice’s oldest churches, Ateneo of San Basso. The church is located on the northeast corner of St. Mark's Square, across from St. Mark's Basilica. The square is within walking distance of Doge’s Palace and Rialto Bridge. The nearest vaporetto (water-bus) stop is San Marco/San Zaccaria.
When to Get There
The San Marco Chamber Orchestra performs several evenings weekly with more show offerings in summer. Shows begin at 8:30pm and are approximately 90 minutes long. Check the orchestra’s website prior to your visit for current concert times.
The Vivaldi Venice Orphanage
The Ospedale della Pietà, where Vivaldi’s work was first performed, was an orphanage and music school in Venice. Antonio Vivaldi worked there as a violin teacher in the early 1700s. Many of Vivaldi’s prized works were written at the Pietà and performed by his students. The original building is now Metropole Hotel, but the original Pietà music hall no longer exists.
- St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
- Bridge of Sighs
- Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
- Correr Museum (Museo Correr)
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Campo San Bartolomeo
- Bovolo Staircase (Scala Contarini del Bovolo)