Campo Santa Maria Formosa
Named after the 15th-century church of the same name that borders the square, Campo Santa Maria Formosa is the perfect spot to enjoy a coffee and relax between tours or shopping.
The square’s peaceful vibe lets you slow down a bit and enjoy the true spirit of Venice. You can tour Santa Maria Formosa Church, browse the local shops, or just relax and people watch.
Things to Know Before You Go
Campo Santa Maria Formosa is a true hidden gem in Venice.
The delightful Castello town square offers a break from the hustle of Venice.
Feel like a local as you enjoy a cup of coffee and rest before continuing your Venice explorations.
How to Get There
Campo Santa Maria Formosa is located in the Castello district of Venice, a 5-minute walk northeast of St. Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco). To reach Campo Santa Maria Formosa, take vaporetto water bus line 1 or 2 to the Rialto stop and then make the short walk from the Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto).
When to Get There
The streets of Venice are crawling with tourists during the popular summer months, so consider visiting between November and March to avoid the crowds. Head out early if visiting between April and October and seek out hidden sights like Campo Santa Maria Formosa for an authentic experience of Venice.
Other Castello District Attractions
Venice is divided into six districts or sestieri, each with its own distinct character. Castello is home to the Basilica of San Pietro di Castello and the Arsenale, the once mighty medieval shipyard complex that now hosts the Venice Biennale. Castello is the largest district, and in addition to major sights it has several relatively tourist-free pockets where you can experience the quieter side of Venice.
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Venice Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli)
- San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)
- St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Campo San Bartolomeo
- Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
- Bridge of Sighs
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto)
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)