Mazzarò Beach (Lido Mazzarò)
One of the most popular beaches along the Sicilian coastline near Taormina, Lido Mazzarò has free public areas as well as private beach clubs where you can rent a deck chair and umbrella for the day.
Relax on the beach on your own, or join a tour of Taormina that includes a stop at Isola Bella and the Mazzarò Beach. Alternatively, opt for a boat tour along the Taormina coastline that takes in this pretty beach as well as nearby highlights like Isola Bella and the Grotta Azzurra sea grotto; some boat tours include stops for snorkeling and lunch at a seaside restaurant featuring fresh fish and Sicilian wine.
Things to know before you go
- Mazzarò Beach is a prime spot for sunbathing and taking a dip, so be sure to bring your swimsuit, towel, and sunblock.
- Beach clubs rent sun loungers, deck chairs, and umbrellas; the entrance fee generally includes the use of changing rooms, restrooms, and showers. Most also have snack bars or restaurants.
- Some beach clubs on Lido Mazzarò are accessible to wheelchairs; confirm in advance.
How to get there
Lido Mazzarò is easy to access from central Taormina via the scenic cable car that connects the city with the beach in 15 minutes. The nearest train station is Taormina-Giardini and the nearest airport is Catania, 38.5 miles (62 km) to the south.
When to get there
Lido Mazzarò offers a cool respite against Sicily’s scorching summer temperatures, and the beach is most crowded from June to September. Late spring and early fall have temperatures still warm enough to swim in the crystalline waters without the hassle of the summer crowds.
Sicily’s “Beautiful Island”
Isola Bella, or “Beautiful Island”, is not actually an island but rather a rocky outcrop at the far end of Lido Mazzarò connected to Sicily’s mainland by a narrow strip of sand that disappears beneath the waves at high tide. One of the most picturesque points along the coastline, Isola Bella was gifted to Taormina in 1806 by the King of Sicily and has been a nature reserve since 1990.
- Things to do in Sicily
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Messina
- Things to do in Syracuse
- Things to do in Agrigento
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Mellieha
- Things to do in Valletta
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Villa Comunale
- Taormina Cable Car (Funivia)
- Taormina Greek Theatre (Teatro Greco)
- Corvaja Palace (Palazzo Corvaja)
- Piazza IX Aprile
- Corso Umberto I
- Taormina Roman Odeon
- Santa Caterina Church (Chiesa di Santa Caterina)
- Taormina Old Town (Centro Storico)
- Taormina Cathedral (Duomo) and Piazza del Duomo
- Taormina Piazza Duomo
- Taormina Cruise Port (Taormina Terminal Crociere)
- Alcantara Gorges (Gole dell'Alcantara)
- Circumetnea Railway (Ferrovia Circumetnea)