Taormina Cable Car (Funivia)
The Funivia is one of Taormina’s top attractions (along with its Greek Theater) for travelers that are planning on spending time at the beach or not. The cable car journey provides panoramic views up and down the coastline. There are several cable cars that are in near-constant rotation, depending on the season, and each car can carry up to 12 people at a time.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Funivia is a must-see attraction for travelers seeking views and quick transportation to the beach.
- Consider how much you will use the cable car before purchasing a ticket; one-way tickets are available in addition to passes for a day, week, or month.
- Check the timetable when you arrive; the operating hours and frequency of cable cars varies depending on the season.
How to Get There
Taormina is located on the eastern coast of Sicily, approximately a 1-hour drive north of Catania. Most visitors arrive by car or as part of a guided tour from Catania. Shore excursions from Messina also often include a stop in Taormina. The nearest major airport is in Catania.
When to Get There
The busiest time of year in Taormina is during the summer months of June, July, and August when Italians and international travelers alike arrive to enjoy the region’s beaches. During this time, the Funivia operates at its most frequent. The spring and fall months offer milder temperatures and fewer crowds. Cinema fans may want to plan a trip to coincide with the annual Taormina Film Fest.
Taormina’s Greek Theater In addition to the beaches and scenic cable car journey, travelers plan a visit to Taormina to see its Greek Theater. Built in the 3rd century BC, the theater offers views of Mt. Etna in the distance and still hosts a range of events including concerts.
- Things to do in Sicily
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Messina
- Things to do in Syracuse
- Things to do in Agrigento
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Mellieha
- Things to do in Valletta
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Taormina Greek Theatre (Teatro Greco)
- Corvaja Palace (Palazzo Corvaja)
- Villa Comunale
- Taormina Roman Odeon
- Santa Caterina Church (Chiesa di Santa Caterina)
- Corso Umberto I
- Piazza IX Aprile
- Taormina Old Town (Centro Storico)
- Taormina Cathedral (Duomo) and Piazza del Duomo
- Taormina Piazza Duomo
- Mazzarò Beach (Lido Mazzarò)
- Taormina Cruise Port (Taormina Terminal Crociere)
- Alcantara Gorges (Gole dell'Alcantara)
- Circumetnea Railway (Ferrovia Circumetnea)