Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
The museum is arranged for self-guided tours, with informational plaques stationed throughout each exhibit. An informational video also gives visitors the chance to learn more about the site and exhibits. Groups of 10 or more can also request a guided tour for an additional fee. Guided tours also include the chance to add a living history presentation from a period-clad docent. The museum also hosts workshops and activities such as scrimshaw carving and creating “sailor’s valentines.”
Things to Know Before You Go
- Maritime culture is an important piece of Savannah’s history and this museum is the ideal place to learn more.
- The museum gardens are free to enter, offer WiFi, and are available to rent for weddings and other private events.
- Wheelchair access is limited due to the historic nature of the building.
- The garden and a pavilion where an introductory film can be watched are accessible.xa0
- See more historic attractions for less money by booking a pass that grants you access to the William Scarbrough House, Davenport House Museum, and Andrew Low House.
How to Get There
Located in Savannah’s historic district on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum is easily accessible on foot or the Old Town Trolley tour (stop 14).
When to Get There
The museum is open year-round and the indoor exhibits make a pleasant escape from the heat and rain. If you want to enjoy the gardens, visit in the spring when the weather is fair and the flowers are in bloom.
Must-See Spots in the Savannah Historic District The Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum is just one of the many educational and architecturally interesting attractions in Savannah’s historic downtown. Start with a scenic stroll along the cobbled River Street. Discover art and culture at the Telfair Museums. Learn more about the Girl Scouts at the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace. Plus, don’t miss the southern cuisine, live entertainment, and drink specials available at the area’s eclectic establishments.
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Florida