El Pilar Mayan Ruins Tours and Activities
El Pilar is an ancient Maya city located at Belize’s border with Guatemala. It’s a Middle Pre-Classic and Late-Classic Mayan site, which is currently under excavation by the University of California.
As the site is not very well excavated yet, tours to El Pilar tend to focus on the important vegetative areas that were key in Maya history. El Pilar Archeological Reserve for Maya Flora and Fauna extends into Guatemala and was declared a cultural monument. The area has been under threat by looters and was placed on the 1996 World Monument Fund’s list of 100 Most Endangered Sites in the World.
El Pilar is believed to contain 20 or more plazas and hundreds of other structures spread out over more than 50 acres. At least one ball court has been discovered, and the tallest structure stands about 70 feet above the plaza. One of the most interesting features of El Pilar is a three- to five-foot-high wall, which runs westward from the site and into Guatemala.
El Pilar gets its name from the unusual abundance of water in the area. El Pilar is the Spanish word for “watering basin.” Researchers believe construction at El Pilar began around 800 BC, and by 250 BC, there was a thriving community. During its peak, El Pilar could’ve been home to as many as 20,000 people.
Visitors to El Pilar will find several easily navigable trails, and birding enthusiasts will enjoy the abundant bird life that calls El Pilar home.
Tours and Activities to Experience El Pilar Mayan Ruins
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Cahal Pech Maya Site & Museum
- San Jose Succotz
- Green Hills Butterfly Ranch
- Macal River
- Barton Creek Cave
- Big Rock Falls
- Actun Tunichil Muknal
- Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve
- Blue Hole National Park
- Crystal Cave (Mountain Cow Cave)
- Tikal National Park (Parque Nacional Tikal)