San Francisco Cruise Port
Make the most of your time in San Francisco with a private and customizable city tour, trip to nearby Alcatraz (boats depart from nearby Pier 41), or shore excursion to the redwood forests—most offer convenient port pickup and drop-off where needed. Alternatively, visit Chinatown, Nob Hill, SoMa, and ride the city’s famous cable cars independently before stopping at Fisherman’s Wharf and returning to ship. Many visitors also like to build in time before and after their cruise to explore the city and surrounds.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Booking a shore excursion can help you make the most of your limited time in the city and are especially helpful for first-time visitors to San Francisco.
- There’s long-term parking available for cruise passengers at the Reef Parking lot across from Piers 27 and 35.
- Pier 27 is the new terminal, while the older Pier 35 handles overflow.
- Pier 35 is located close to popular San Francisco destinations Pier 39, the Exploratorium, and Fisherman’s Wharf.
- San Francisco is a hilly city, so wear appropriate shoes if you’re planning to explore on foot.
- The San Francisco Cruise Port is located roughly 14 miles (22 kilometers) from San Francisco International Airport and 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Oakland International Airport.
How to Get to San Francisco From the San Francisco Cruise Port
Situated in the Embarcadero district, both Pier 35 and Pier 27 (the James R. Herman) are within easy walking distance of San Francisco city center, while F Line streetcars stop in front of Pier 27. Taxis and other private transport options also operate nearby and shore excursions typically include round-trip transportation.
The official language is English, although you may encounter locals who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish as well. The currency is the US Dollar and ATMs are widely available, but currency exchange facilities are harder to come by. You may need to head to a major bank in the city to exchange money.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon