Fillmore District Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
The Fillmore District can be considered a microhood of the Western Addition, covering the blocks around Fillmore Street from Geary to Grove streets. At the corner of Fillmore and Geary, you’ll find the neighborhood’s most famous resident, the Fillmore, the legendary music venue that hosted performances by bands like Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane in the 1960s.
The district is rich in jazz history, dating back to the 1940s and ‘50s when Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Charlie Parker played at venues in the “Harlem of the West.” Other than catching a show at the Fillmore, the best way to explore the neighborhood is by foot.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There is a lot of metered and free street parking available, but pay attention to posted signs about prohibited parking during street cleaning or other times.
- Do not leave valuables in your car, even during the daytime.
- The Fillmore is an all-ages venue; tickets can be purchased from Ticketmaster or in person at the box office.
How to Get There
You can get to the Fillmore via public transportation, on city buses 22, 38, 5, or 31.
When to Get There
Most shows at the Fillmore take place in the evening. The Fillmore Jazz Festival takes over the neighborhood every summer, and is one of the largest jazz festivals on the west coast. Every April, the Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival in adjacent Japantown is one of the city’s favorite events.
Upper Fillmore Street
North of Geary Boulevard, Fillmore Street runs through Pacific Heights north to the Marina District. The blocks between Post and Jackson are home to stylish boutiques and upscale eateries, where locals flock on evenings and weekends for shopping, date nights, and movies at the AMC Kabuki 8.
Address: Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA, USA
1 Tours and Activities to Experience Fillmore District
Download this self-guided audio tour for an independent exploration of San Francisco's historic Japantown. You can travel at your own pace with your private group, stopping and starting the tour whenever you like. The narrator will share little-known stories about the food, culture, and history of the neighborhood; best taken between 10:30am and 3:30pm, Wednesdays through Saturdays, to ensure that the businesses and other stops are open.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Fillmore District?
The best ways to experience Fillmore District are:See all Fillmore District experiences on Viator.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Santa Rosa
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon