Top San Diego Whale Watching
Saved to wishlist!
Read MoreShow Less
The coastal city of San Diego is a main stop on the migratory patterns of gray, blue, and humpback whales as they make their way from Alaska to Baja California and Mexico each year. Here’s how to witness some of the 25,000+ whales that make the trip annually.
When to Go
Whale-watching tours run from January to April during the peak season for sightings, although enormous blue whales can be seen throughout the year and into summer. San Diego may be famous for its warm weather, but it’s best to wear layers to protect from wind and water while out on the boat.
What You’ll See
Gray whales and humpbacks can often be seen with their small calves in tow, while the enormity of the blue whale’s spout alone is worth seeing. Whale-watching cruises often also encounter dolphins, sea lions, seals, and other marine life off the San Diego coast.
How to Go
Tours typically depart from San Diego Harbor, one of the best places to take a whale-watching excursion in Southern California. It’s best to avoid caffeine in advance of your outing and take precautions to prevent sea sickness. Customize your trip by choosing a whale-watching tour by sailboat, a kayaking adventure from La Jolla Cove, or a wildlife boat tour guided by a marine biologist from the Birch Aquarium.
3 results | All San Diego Tours
Sort by: Featured
Go whale watching from San Diego aboard a replica of a historic sailing schooner that won the world’s first America’s Cup sailing competition in 1851. Throughout your cruise, your expert guide shares informative commentary about gray whales, dolphins, and other marine animals, along with details about the US Navy sites you pass as you head out on the Pacific Ocean.
Go on a whale-watching expedition in San Diego on this 3-hour cruise. Get the scoop from a guide who studies the migratory patterns of grey whales as you keep a lookout for whales in the water. Board a 2-story yacht that gives you 360-degree views of the ocean. Plus, you're guaranteed to see whales or you get to ride again for free.
Get the best chance of seeing whales and dolphins on a private boat tour. Your party will have the run of the boat, including an enclosed cabin, an observation tower, and a restroom. Your experienced USCG-certified captain knows the best places to spot wildlife and will provide engaging commentary on the local marine ecosystem.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the best Whale Watching in San Diego?
The best Whale Watching in San Diego according to Viator travelers are:
What Whale Watching in San Diego are taking additional safety precautions?
What Whale Watching in San Diego are good for avoiding crowds?
These hidden gems in San Diego may have limited interaction with crowds:
- Likely To Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Nature and Wildlife
- Dolphin Watching
- Whale Watching
- On the Water
- Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
- Cruises & Sailing
- Day Cruises
- Sightseeing Cruises
- How to Get Around
- Private and Luxury
- Sightseeing Tours
- Tours by Duration
- Art & Culture
- Classes & Workshops
- Food & Drink
- Seasonal & Special Occasions
- Tickets & Passes
- Travel & Transportation Services
- Unique Experiences
- Whaley House Museum Tours & Tickets
- Little Italy San Diego Tours & Tickets
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park Tours & Tickets
- Heritage Park Tours & Tickets
- El Prado Tours & Tickets
- San Diego Air & Space Museum Tours & Tickets
- Museum of Photographic Arts Tours & Tickets
- San Diego History Center Tours & Tickets
- Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial Tours & Tickets
- San Diego Convention Center Tours & Tickets
- Mingei International Museum Tours & Tickets
- El Campo Santo Cemetery Tours & Tickets
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM) Tours & Tickets
- Seaport Village Tours & Tickets
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat) Tours & Tickets
- Ocean Beach Pier Tours & Tickets
- Living Coast Discovery Center Tours & Tickets
- Coronado Tours & Tickets
- Petco Park Tours & Tickets
- Green Flash Brewing Co. Tours & Tickets
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada