Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden
The garden is meant for relaxing strolls, so perhaps visit between museum stops or other activities, when you could use a peaceful break from the crowds. It’s maintained by volunteers, providing a community atmosphere while still being one of the most beautiful places in the city. Balboa Park Segway tours typically pass by the rose garden, or opt for a private tour if you want to make sure you see it.
Things to know before you go
- The award-winning garden is a must for horticulturists.
- There’s no fee to visit the garden
- It’s available as a wedding venue, so you may come across a ceremony in progress.
How to get there
The garden is located off Park Boulevard, across the street from the Bea Evenson Fountain and the Fleet Science Center. It’s accessible via city bus 7.
When to get there
The garden is open daily. Peak bloom season is April and May, although many roses bloom from March through December.
Other Gardens in Balboa Park
For landscaping aficionados, a variety of additional gardens are waiting to be admired at Balboa Park, including the Desert Garden, Australian Garden, California Native Plant Garden, Japanese Friendship Garden, and Veterans Memorial Garden.
- Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)
- San Diego History Center
- Spanish Village Art Center
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- El Prado
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- San Diego Zoo
- Mingei International Museum
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Old Globe Theater
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- Balboa Park