Many of Trastevere’s narrow streets are closed to traffic, so the best way to explore this ancient Roman neighborhood is by getting off the beaten path with a guided walking tour—though Vespa scooter and Segway tours are also fun options. Trastevere is famous for its excellent cuisine, so consider taking a food tour to discover traditional Roman dishes, Italian wines, and open-air food markets. Alternatively, tour after dark to rub elbows with young Romans out for a night on the town.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
Trastevere’s nightlife centers around the bustling Piazza Trilussa, at the end of the Ponte Sisto.
If you love authentic Italian food and wine, Trastevere is considered one of the best neighborhoods in Rome for meals, wine tastings, and festive ambience.
Tours of Trastevere often include visits to the Jewish Ghetto and Campo de’ Fiori, both located just across the river.
How to Get There
Trastevere lies along the east bank of the Tiber River, south of Vatican City. To reach the neighborhood, cross the Ponte Sisto on foot, or take the 8 tram across the Ponte Garibaldi just north of Tiber Island.
When to Get There
Trastevere is delightful to explore all year round, though the neighborhood is best appreciated when the weather is mild. For a unique look into one of the most lively neighborhoods in the Eternal City, take a leisurely stroll by night. Like much of Rome, the area gets crowded in summer.
Caravaggio in Trastevere
In the early 17th century, Caravaggio was commissioned to paint “The Death of the Virgin” for the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Scala in Trastevere. The master painter’s realistic depiction of the Virgin as swollen and bare-legged was considered blasphemous, and the parish rejected his work. It now hangs in the Louvre in Paris.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Aventine Hill (Aventino)
- Piazza di San Cosimato
- Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere (Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere)
- Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere
- Orange Garden (Giardino degli Aranci)
- Tiber Island (Isola Tiberina)
- Forum Boarium (Foro Boario)
- Piazza della Bocca della Verità
- Basilica of Saint Mary in Cosmedin (Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin)
- Piazza Trilussa
- Jewish Museum of Rome (Museo Ebraico di Roma)
- Great Synagogue of Rome (Tempio Maggiore di Roma)
- St. Nicholas Basilica in Carcere (Basilica San Nicola)
- Portico of Octavia (Portico di Ottavia)
- Rome Jewish Ghetto (Ghetto Ebraico di Roma)