Circus of Maxentius (Circo di Massenzio)
Located between miles I and II of Rome's ancient Appian Way, the villa complex, which was commissioned by the Emperor Maxentius, is home the ruins of the imperial palace and the Mausoleo di Romolo (Tomb of Romulus). The highlight, though, is the Circus of Maxentius—also known as the Circus Maxentius, Circo di Massenzio, or, for many years, the Circus of Caracalla. In its heyday, the public stadium held 10,000 spectators; the obelisk that decorates Piazza Navona today once marked its center. Explore the site on a Vespa tour of ancient Rome, a guided bike ride, or independently.
Things to Know Before You Go
This site is particularly interesting for ancient Roman history buffs.
The Circus of Maxentius is an outdoor archaeological site, so wear a hat and sunscreen if you’re visiting in summer.
Most of the site consists of uneven, overgrown terrain; it’s difficult to navigate with a wheelchair or stroller.
For older kids, a bike ride through along the Appian Way is a fun break from seeing Rome’s historic center on foot.
How to Get There
The Circus of Maxentius is located in the Villa of Maxentius at Via Appia Antica 153 between the Basilica of San Sebastiano and the tomb of Caecilia Metella inside the Appian Way Regional Park (Parco Regionale Appia Antica). You can reach it on bike or Vespa from center of Rome.
When to Get There
The archaeological ruins are part of an open-air park, so visit on a clear day with mild temperatures.
The circus, where games, political events, religious functions, and funerals were held, was the primary gathering place for ancient Romans. Italy's most important Roman circuses are located in Rome, Milan, Aquileia, and Marino.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Garbatella District (Quartiere Garbatella)
- Aqueduct Park (Parco degli Acquedotti)
- Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura)
- Baths of Caracalla (Terme di Caracalla)
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Villa Celimontana
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)
- Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili)
- Caelian Hill (Celio)
- Protestant Cemetery of Rome (Cimitero Acottolico di Roma)
- Porta Maggiore
- Rome Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo