In contrast to the opulent Roman palaces and amphitheaters, Case Romane del Celio offers a view of domestic life, with frescoes giving testimony to the use of each room. First housing the upper crust, the residence changed hands many times before becoming the home of Saint John and Saint Paul—see frescoes depicting Roman soldiers leading them to their deaths. In the 5th century, the basilica was built on top, burying Case like a secret until the 1800s.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for art lovers of all ages.
- Admission is about US$9 for adults, about US$7 for children aged 12 - 18 while children under 12 are free to enter.
- Tours may include round trip hotel transfers. Check specific tours for details.
How to Get There
Case Romane del Celio is located on Clivo di Scauro, an arched street between the Basilica di S. Gregorio and Villa Celimontana, just north of the Colosseum. Take a taxi to the site, or any number of buses (51, 75, 81, 5, 87, C3, N2, or N11) to the S. Gregorio stop or take the tram (3 or 8) to the Parco Celio stop.
When to Get There
Case Romane del Celio is open Thursday - Monday,xa0 10am - 1pm and 3pm - 6pm.xa0 Avoid Rome’s dense tourist throngs by traveling during the pleasant shoulder seasons of spring and fall. Even better for avoiding crowds is the winter, though temperatures can dip to freezing.
Santi Quattro Coronati
Walk through the Parco del Celio to an off-the-beaten-track gem cared for by Augustinian nuns since the 16th century. Secreted within the medieval Santi Quattro Coronati is a cardinal's palace, a convent,xa0 a basilica with rare 13th century frescoes inside Chapel of Sylvester called the “medieval Sistine Chapel,” and a 13th-century cloister with possibly the earliest surviving example of the decorative Cosmati inlay stonework. And twice a month, visitors may view spectacular “profane” frescoes, freshly refurbished.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Rome Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Arch of Constantine (Arco di Costantino)
- Palatine Hill (Palatino)
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)
- Villa Celimontana
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Domus Augustana
- Palatine Museum (Museo del Palatino)
- Circus Maximus (Circo Massimo)
- Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito)
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- House of Livia (Casa di Livia)