Italy is well known for its diverse regional cuisine, and Liguria has several culinary claims to fame. Here are some local specialties—known for the simple flavors of Liguria’s incredibly fresh produce and seafood—to enjoy while dining in Genoa.
Ancient Quarry of Ornavasso (Antica Cava di Ornavasso)
Via Boden, 23, Ornavasso VB, Italy, Piedmont & Liguria, 28877
Visit the quarry complex where the prized marble has been extracted since Roman times. You’ll tour the historic quarry on foot, and the modern quarry by train car. Nearby, take in views of the scenic Toce River (connected to Lake Maggiore), which forms the beginning of a waterway used for centuries to transport huge blocks of marble.
Located a short drive from Lake Maggiore, the quarry is an easy day trip from Stresa and the Borromean Islands or Lake Orta. To save time at the entrance to the complex, purchase your ticket online in advance.
Things to Know Before You Go
Kids especially seem to enjoy visiting the towering caverns and tunnels deep underground.
Expect a significant amount of walking.
Temperatures can be chilly belowground even on the hottest days of summer, so take a light sweater or jacket to wear during your tour.
The complex isn’t accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Antica Cava di Ornavasso can be reached only by car. Take highway A26 Voltri-Gravellona Toce to the Ornavasso exit (SS 33 Sempione), and follow the signs to the quarry.
When to Get There
Go from spring through fall to avoid driving through snow in winter.
Where to Find Marble from Ornavasso
Marble from Ornavasso graces some of Italy’s architectural masterpieces. Look for it at the Duomo, Church of San Fedele, and Arco della Pace in Milan; the Certosa and sections of the Cathedral of Pavia; the apses of San Carlo and Santa Cristina in Turin; and the altars of Busto Arsizio and the Church of Sestriere.
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Palace of Venaria (Reggia di Venaria Reale)
- Basilica of Superga (Basilica di Superga)
- Juventus Stadium
- Sanctuary of the Consolata (Santuario della Consolata)
- Mole Antonelliana
- Holy Shroud of Turin (Sacra Sindone)
- Royal Palace of Turin (Palazzo Reale di Torino)
- National Cinema Museum (Museo Nazionale del Cinema)
- Royal Church of San Lorenzo (Real Chiesa di San Lorenzo)
- Civic Museum of Ancient Art (Museo Civico di Arte Antica)
- Via Po
- Turin Duomo (Cattedrale di San Giovanni Battista)
- Piazza Castello
- Piazza Statuto
- Carignano Palace (Palazzo Carignano)