The sheer vastness of the Grand Canyon, a deep gorge carved by the Colorado River, draws visitors from far and wide to this Arizona sight. Here’s what you need to know about touring the Grand Canyon—by air, vehicle, and foot—from nearby Phoenix.
Pueblo Grande Museum
Open daily. Closed Sundays and Mondays, May - Sept
The Pueblo Grande Museum comprises three main sections, an interior gallery with Hohokam artifacts from prehistoric sites within the Phoenix area, an outdoor interpretive trail passing through the village ruins, and an interactive children’s gallery where young visitors can learn more about how archaeologists uncover clues from digs.
Things to know before you go
- The Pueblo Grande Museum is a must-see for history buffs and families.
- Admission is free for children under 6 years of age.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible, and wheelchairs are available onsite.
- Stay within marked observation areas and trails so as not to damage the delicate archaeological remains.
How to get there
The easiest way to get to the Pueblo Grande Museum is to drive; free parking is available on the northwest corner of the grounds for paying visitors. The Light Rail and Sky Train also stop nearby.
When to get there
During winter, the grounds are open Monday through Saturday and on Sunday afternoons; during summer the site opens Tuesday through Saturday only. Since many of the ruins are outside and open to the elements, it’s a good idea to visit during the winter (November through April) or first thing in the morning during summer.
Archaeological Sites in Phoenix
The city of Phoenix is home to hundreds of archaeological sites, including Hohokam villages, rock art, and spiritual shrines. The collection at the Pueblo Grande Museum protects items from many of these sites, as well as objects from other American Indian tribes throughout the American Southwest.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Pueblo Grande Museum?
What else should I know about attractions in Phoenix?
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Utah
- Phoenix Zoo
- Desert Botanical Gardens
- Mill Avenue
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Arizona
- SEA LIFE® Aquarium Arizona
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA)
- Heritage Square
- Chase Field
- Arizona Science Center
- Old Town Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Fashion Square
- Phoenix Art Museum
- Camelback Mountain
- Wrigley Mansion
- Mystery Castle