Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
Also known as Santa Maria di Monte Oliveto, the Sant’Anna dei Lombardi complex is home to some of Naples' finest art, illustrating the close ties between the Aragonese dynasty in Naples and the Medici dynasty in Florence in the Renaissance. Highlights include Guido Mazzoni's magnificent terracotta Pietà from 1492 and Francesco Solimena's St. Christopher. To appreciate its historic and artistic treasures, visit the church with an expert guide as part of a walking or bike tour of Naples’ fascinating historic center, or on a guided itinerary that includes visits to the city’s most significant churches, including the Duomo, Gesù Nuovo, and the Sansevero Chapel.
Things to know before you go
- Wear a hat, sunscreen, and comfortable shoes if joining a walking or bike tour of Naples.
- Modest attire and appropriate decorum are required to enter Neapolitan churches.
- Opt for a day trip to Naples from the Amalfi Coast or Sorrento to be able to enjoy a quiet evening after a day in this busy capital city.
- The church is accessible to wheelchair users.
- Photography without flash is permitted inside the church.
How to get there
Sant’Anna dei Lombardi is on Piazza Monteoliveto in the center of historic Naples, facing the magnificent 17th-century Fontana di Monteoliveto, a monumental baroque fountain considered one of the most beautiful in Italy. The Toledo metro station is a short walk away.
When to get there
If visiting Naples between June and September, expect the city to be crowded with summer travelers. Sant’Anna dei Lombardi does not close at midday, so can offer a quiet and cool respite in the hottest hours of the day.
The Sacristy of Vasari
The headliner of Sant’Anna dei Lombardi is its gorgeous sacristy, decorated with intricately inlaid wood panels by Giovanni da Verona and gorgeous 16th-century frescoes by Giorgio Vasari depicting the Allegories and Symbols of Faith.
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Via Toledo
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Spanish Quarter (Quartieri Spagnoli)
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino)
- Galleria Umberto I
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Charterhouse and Museum of San Martino (Certosa e Museo di San Martino)
- Piazza Trieste e Trento
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples