Piazza Trieste e Trento
To one side of Piazza Trieste e Trento stretches the vast Piazza del Plebiscito, one of Italy's most famous public spaces, lined by an elegant sweep of Doric columns, the glorious Palazzo Reale—formerly the royal residence and now a museum—and the domed Church of San Francesco di Paola. To the other side of the square, along Via San Carlo, is the historic Teatro di San Carlo, the oldest continuously active opera house in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It sits directly across from the 19th-century Galleria Umberto I shopping gallery and virtually next door to the imposing medieval Castel Nuovo. Visit Piazza Trieste e Trento and nearby attractions by joining a Naples history walk, or opt for a Vespa tour or a day of Naples sightseeing by vintage Fiat for a unique private tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
In addition to shops and boutiques, the neighborhood around Piazza Trieste e Trento is thick with excellent traditional Neapolitan restaurants.
The adjacent Via Chiaia is pedestrian only, so it’s easy to navigate with a wheelchair or stroller.
The square is one of the most important intersections in Naples, where three of the city's main thoroughfares converge around the central Fontana del Carciofo.
How to Get There
The N1 and N3 buses both stop directly in Piazza Trieste e Trento, and the metro line 1 stops at Piazza del Municipio, a 5-minute walk away. Naples is the largest city in the region of Campania, and a hub for trains and ferries from the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, and Pompeii.
When to Get There
Naples is a popular destination, and its attractions can be very hot and crowded in the high-season summer months. Visit in the early morning to avoid the crowds, and the late evening to relax with a cocktail during the cooler hours of the day.
The Church of San Ferdinando
The 17th-century Chiesa di San Ferdinando faces onto Piazza Trieste e Trento and is known for its baroque fresco cycle by Paolo de Matteis dating from the late 1600s.
- Royal Palace of Naples (Palazzo Reale)
- Piazza del Plebiscito
- San Carlo Opera House (Teatro di San Carlo)
- Basilica of San Francesco di Paola (Basilica di San Francesco di Paola)
- Galleria Umberto I
- Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Spanish Quarter (Quartieri Spagnoli)
- Saint Lucia Neighborhood (Quartiere Santa Lucia)
- Bourbon Tunnel (Galleria Borbonica)
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Via Toledo
- Charterhouse and Museum of San Martino (Certosa e Museo di San Martino)
- Saint Elmo’s Castle (Castel Sant'Elmo)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples