St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
Climb to the top of “Old Peter,” as the church is known to locals, to see views over the oldest part of Munich. The spire of this historic building was almost completely destroyed in World War II bombings, but it has been fully restored with the traditional architecture. St. Peter’s Church is a popular stop on Munich city tours including Old Town walking tours and history-themed tours.
Things to know before you go
- St. Peter’s Church is a must-see attraction for history enthusiasts, art lovers, and people searching for views over the city’s rooftops.
- Admission to the church is free.
- To climb to the top of the spire, be prepared to tackle approximately 300 steps.
- The sanctuary is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers but the top of the spire is only accessible by stairs.
How to get there
Located in the historic Graggenauer district of Munich, St. Peter’s church is easily accessible by public transportation; take the S-Bahn or U-Bahn to Marienplatz. This landmark is within Munich’s pedestrian area and is near traditional Bavarian markets.
When to get there
St. Peter’s Church is open daily with slightly reduced hours during the winter months. Colored rings at the lower platform provide details on what to expect from the views at the top of the Spire; white rings signify views all the way to the Alps. For the most peaceful experience at the church, visit on a weekday vs. a weekend. First-time travelers to Munich may want to plan around the rowdy days of Oktoberfest, taking place in late September and early October.
The Church’s Famous Jeweled Skeleton
Beyond the views from the spire, another attraction draws visitors to St. Peter’s church. The Skeleton of St. Mundita is a gem-studded skeleton with false eyes and jeweled teeth. It provides an intriguing counterpoint to the church’s beautiful Gothic paintings and ceiling fresco.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- Deutsches Museum