Papalote Children's Museum (Papalote Museo del Niño)
Situated in the expansive Chapultepec Park, Papalote Children’s Museum is a place where playing and learning overlap. As you make your way through six zones of interactive exhibits and a vast outdoor garden, you can explore the human body, watch as Mexican history comes alive, power up a robot, and much more.
Opened in 1993, Papalote Children’s Museum is all about hands-on education and fun. Exhibits such as the Mayan Garden and Pyramid, as well as the massive IMAX screen, entertain kids while teaching them about science, art, and technology. The museum is one of Mexico’s most popular family-friendly attractions, so if you’re crunched for time, book skip-the-line tickets in advance. There are also several combo ticket options.
Things to Know Before You Go
Signage is in Spanish, but most visitors can still appreciate the interactive elements at Papalote Children’s Museum.
There’s an on-site cafeteria.
How to Get There
Papalote Children’s Museum is located in Chapultepec Park, in the heart of Mexico City. While the museum can be reached on foot—depending on where you’re staying—there’s also good public transit access. Metro Constituyentes (Line 7) is the closest station, and Metrobus Parque Lira is about a 20-minute walk away. Taxis and private transport can also drop you off nearby.
When to Get There
Papalote Children’s Museum is open Monday through Saturday, morning till evening. For fewer crowds, visit midweek and arrive as early as possible.
What Else to See and Do in Chapultepec Park
After a morning or afternoon exploring Papalote Children’s Museum, make a museum day of it in Chapultepec Park. Visit Chapultepec Castle—the Americas’ only royal castle, which was once home to Maximilian and Carlota. Or check out the National Museum of Anthropology or the Tamayo Contemporary Art Museum.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- La Feria Chapultepec
- Chapultepec Park (Bosque de Chapultepec)
- Chapultepec Castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología)
- Mexico City Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Tamayo Museum (Museo Tamayo)
- La Condesa
- Bellini Revolving Restaurant (Bellini Restaurante Giratorio)
- Angel of Independence (Monumento a la Independencia)
- Inbursa Aquarium
- Jumex Museum (Museo Jumex)
- Soumaya Museum (Plaza Carso)
- Aztec History in Mexico City
- Mexican Cuisine
- Best Day Trips from Mexico City
- 3 Days in Mexico City: Suggested Itineraries
- Best Museums in Mexico City
- Frida Kahlo’s Mexico City
- Mezcal Tastings in Mexico City
- How to Spend 1 Day in Mexico City
- Ways to Experience Mexican Culture in Mexico City
- Food Lover's Guide to Mexico City
- How to Experience Cinco de Mayo in Mexico City
- Tula Day Trips from Mexico City