Progreso Cruise Port
Most visitors spend their day in the colonial city of Mérida or at an archaeological site, arriving by taxi or rental car. However, for first-time visitors, organized shore excursions make it easy to explore both Mérida and Mayan ruins—tours typically include round-trip transportation too. Meanwhile, other excursions stop at freshwater cenotes, haciendas, or abandoned ghost towns. If visiting Mérida independently, don’t miss the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya or House of Montejo.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Whether you like culture, architecture, or adventure, there’s a shore excursion to suit most from the Progreso Cruise Port.
- Mérida is home to a number of well-preserved colonial buildings and museums, making it a must-visit for history buffs.
- There’s an internet café at the Progreso Cruise Port terminal, as well as a few car rental options.
- The weather in the Yucatán is typically hot and humid year-round, so pack sunscreen, bug spray, and light layers.
How to Get to Mérida From Progreso Cruise Port
After docking at Progreso Pier, a shuttle transports passengers the length of the 5-mile (8-kilometer) pier to the terminal. From there, the easiest way to reach Mérida—situated 20 miles (35 kilometers) away—is by private vehicle. Shore excursions from Progreso Cruise Port typically include round-trip transportation too.
The currency in Mérida is the Mexican peso, although the US dollar is generally accepted in some tourist attractions and restaurants. Similarly, while the official language is Spanish, many places will have English-speaking staff. You may also hear many people speaking Yucatec Maya.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands