Church of San Sebastian (Igreja Sao Sebastiao)
The Church of San Sebastian’s central location makes it easy to check out either before or after a guided tour of the nearby Manaus Opera House. Inside the church, you will find paintings on the walls that were created in Italy and brought to Manaus and the interior of the dome. The largest painting shows the martyrdom of Sebastian, the saint to whom the church is dedicated.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Church of San Sebastian is a must-see for architecture buffs and spiritual travelers.
- Remember to dress respectfully and keep your voice down inside, as this is an active place of worship.
- You should only need about 15 to 20 minutes for a visit to the cathedral.
How to Get There
The Church of San Sebastian lies on the lovely San Sebastian Square, right across from the city's opera house. If you’re coming from further afield, you can hire a taxi to bring you.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily throughout the year and is free to visit. Come on a Sunday morning to see a Mass (in Portuguese) in the church.
Cathedral of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
Visitors with an interest in cathedrals and cathedral architecture might want to pay a visit to the Cathedral of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception (Catedral da Nossa Senhora da Conceição) as well. The neoclassical structure as it exists today dates back to 1878 and is best known for its bright and colorful interior.
- Manaus Palace of Justice (Palácio de Justiça)
- Amazon Theatre (Teatro Amazonas)
- Rio Negro Palace (Palácio Rio Negro)
- Adolpho Lisboa Municipal Market (Mercado Adolpho Lisboa)
- Museu do Índio
- Indian Museum
- CIGS Zoo
- Ponta Negra Beach (Praia de Ponta Negra)
- Meeting of Waters (Encontro das Aguas)
- Manaus Botanical Gardens (MUSA - Museu da Amazonia)
- Amazon River