Puerta del Sol
The bustling plaza began as a modern public space in the 1850s, when it featured the original city gates. Today, you’ll find sights like the Royal House of the Post Office (Real Casa de Correos), the clocktower Spaniards watch on New Year’s Eve, and Kilometer Zero—the starting point of Spain’s national roads.
Whether you head to Puerta del Sol on a Segway tour, use the Carlos III equestrian statue to find your bearings, or check out the square while exiting the Sol metro stop, expect to show up at the plaza sometime while you’re in Madrid.
Recent reviews from experiences in Madrid
Things to Know Before You Go
- History enthusiasts appreciate Puerta del Sol, location of the 1766 Esquilache Mutiny and the 19th-century coronation of King Ferdinand VII.
- Don’t miss the statue El Oso y el Madroño, the official symbol of Madrid.
- The square is the perfect departure point for a sightseeing tour, Spanish dinner, or flamenco show.
How to Get There
Situated in Madrid’s Centro area, Puerta del Sol is frequently a stop on city tours. The square is also easy to reach via Madrid’s clean and efficient metro system—take the 1, 2, or 3 line to the Sol station.
When to Get There
Puerta del Sol is busy with activity year-round. Expect more crowds during peak summer tourist season, and around New Year’s Eve.
How to Experience Madrid’s Food Culture Thanks to the Spanish tapas tradition, Madrid is a prime foodie destination where you can sample a little of everything, from local cheese to cured olives. To get the most out of your culinary adventures, make your way to a few taverns (tabernas) for finger foods on a guided tasting tour.
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Official Real Madrid Store El Carmen
- San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Art
- Essential Flamenco
- House Museum of Mouse Perez (Casa Museo de Ratón Pérez)
- Casino Gran Vía
- Cardamomo Tablao Flamenco
- Círculo de Bellas Artes (CBA)
- Church of San Ginés (Iglesia de San Ginés)
- Plaza Mayor
- Madrid Plaza de la Villa
- La Taberna de Mister Pinkleton
- Lope de Vega House Museum (Casa Museo Lope de Vega)
- Sobrino de Botín
- San Miguel Market (Mercado de San Miguel)
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza)