Thanks to its setting in the center of the City of London, the financial and geographical heart of the English capital, Mansion House is often seen as part of sightseeing tours. Walking tours focusing on the City of London typically take travelers to the most famous monuments in the district, including St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Tower of London, the Royal Exchange, and Leadenhall Market.
Bus and coach tours tend to cover more ground, combining City of London sights with attractions situated in other parts of the capital, such as Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Trafalgar Square. Entrance to Mansion House is by guided tour only: tours last for an hour and take place on Tuesdays.
Things to know before you go
- Tours of Mansion House must be booked in advance.
- Mansion House has wheelchair-accessible restrooms.
- All floors of the building are wheelchair accessible via elevator, though many artworks are displayed on the stairs.
- Mansion House tours are not suitable for visitors under 14.
How to get there
Take the Tube (Central, Northern, or Waterloo & City lines) to Bank. Mansion House is just a few steps from the station.
When to get there
Guided tours of Mansion House take place on Tuesdays and during the annual Open House London event in September. There are no tours during the month of August. Arrive at least 10 minutes in advance of the tour start time to allow for security checks. If you plan on exploring the surrounding area, be mindful of when you come: the district is packed with suited office workers during the weekday rush hours yet is strangely quiet at weekends.
The Lord Mayor’s Show
Every year in November, Mansion House serves as the starting point for the Lord Mayor’s Show. The procession, which features floats, bands, and performers— as well as the Lord Mayor in a gold coach—marks the annual inauguration of the new Lord Mayor of London. Spectators crowd the sidewalks along the parade route, while many more watch the spectacle live on television.
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais