Comprised of 99 islands (five more at low tide) on Malaysia’s western coast, Langkawi is the postcard image of a tropical paradise. With Langkawi Island as a base, travelers come from around the globe to explore the archipelago. These are some of your best island-hopping options.
Dayang Bunting Lake (Tasik Dayang Bunting)
Dayang Bunting Lake (Tasik Dayang Bunting) is located on Dayang Bunting Island, the second largest island in the Langkawi island group in Malaysia. "Dayang bunting" means "pregnant maiden", so the lake is also sometimes known as Pregnant Maiden Lake.
The legend surrounding this lake says that a princess named Mambang Sari married a man named Mat Teja and had a son. Unfortunately the boy got sick and died just a few days after he was born. The princess laid his body to rest in the lake and made a blessing to all women who have trouble conceiving a child. Supposedly infertile women who go for a swim in the lake will later be able to get pregnant.
Despite only being separated from the sea by less than 100 feet, Dayang Bunting Lake is a freshwater lake. Popular activities include swimming and renting paddle boats. You can also walk on a path through the mangrove forest that surrounds the lake. In the forest, you'll have the chance to see some of the 90 bird species that live on the island, as well as lizards, monkeys, butterflies, and other native animals and insects. The lake is part of Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park, which has many limestone formations and caves.
Dayang Bunting Lake on Dayang Bunting Island is about 12 miles south of Langkawi's main island. You can get there by boat from either Kuah Jetty or at Pantai Cenang, and the journey takes about 15 to 20 minutes. There are several island hopping tours that include the island and the lake.
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Dayang Bunting Island (Pulau Dayang Bunting)
- Singa Besar Island (Pulau Singa Besar)
- Langkawi Beras Basah Island (Pulau Beras Basah)
- Underwater World Langkawi
- Rice Museum (Laman Padi Langkawi)
- Pulau Payar Marine Park
- Eagle Square (Dataran Lang)
- Lagenda Park (Taman Lagenda)
- Mahsuri's Tomb (Makam Mahsuri)
- Tanjung Rhu
- Atma Alam Batik Art Village
- Mt. Machinchang (Gunung Mat Chinchang)
- Galeria Perdana
- Oriental Village Langkawi
- Seven Wells Waterfall (Telaga Tujuh Waterfall)