At Miravalles Volcano, enjoy geothermal adventures such as crater hikes, volcano ziplining, and visits to bubbling mud baths. Tours are the safest way to explore the active geothermal area and usually include hiking past steaming fumaroles and across suspension bridges, followed by a relaxing soak in mineral-rich mud baths and naturally-heated hot springs. Other popular adventures include horseback riding and ziplining across the volcanic slopes.
Recent reviews from experiences in Guanacaste and Northwest
Things to Know Before You Go
Although Miravalles Volcano is technically dormant, steam vents and geysers can still be very hot and should be approached with caution.
Bring a swimsuit, towel, and change of clothes if you plan to soak in the mud baths.
Wear sturdy, closed-toed shoes for hiking and pack a pair of flip-flops for the hot springs.
The volcano area does not have any dining facilities, but most day tours include a stop for lunch.
How to Get There
Miravalles Volcano is a 1.5-hour drive from Tamarindo, Playa Flamingo, and Playa del Coco on the Guanacaste coast. The road to reach the volcano is rough and unpaved in sections, so most travelers prefer to go on a tour that includes transportation. The nearest town, Bagaces, is about 30 minutes away.
When to Get There
The volcano can be visited year-round. Be prepared for muddy trails and afternoon showers if visiting during Costa Rica’s rainy season, which occurs from May to mid-November.
Exploring Tenorio Volcano National Park
Located in the same mountain range as Miravalles, neighboring Tenorio Volcano National Park is close enough to mean that you can tick off two volcanoes in just one day. The park features a lush cloud forest that teems with wildlife and rugged volcanic terrain that’s suited to serious hikers. A highlight for many is the trek to the Rio Celeste waterfall, known for bright-blue waters that are a result of natural mineral reaction.
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Vida Aventura Nature Park
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs
- Dino Park Blue River
- Llano de Cortés Waterfall
- Las Pumas Rescue Center
- Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge (Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Mixto Caño Negro)
- Palo Verde National Park
- Baldi Hot Springs
- Eco Termales Fortuna
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park
- Tamarindo Beach