Las Pumas Rescue Center Tours and Activities
Las Pumas Rescue Center is located in the Guanacaste area near Cañas and serves to rescue, rehabilitate and ensure good conditions for wildlife in Costa Rica. The rescue center primarily caters to larger cats, but there are a number of local species that have benefited from the services at Las Pumas. In addition to the large cats, monkeys, deer and even parrots have been treated here, as well as two toucans that were rescued in 2007 after two men were caught trying to sell them.
The center was established in the midst of deforestation in the 1960s to promote wildlife rehabilitation and conversation efforts. The site fights against hunting, deforestation and poaching of wild animals in Guanacaste by taking in animals that have been removed from their natural habitat, seized by authorities or even brought in by concerned citizens.
It’s important to note that Las Pumas Rescue Center is not a zoo. Animals are rehabilitated with a goal of returning them to the wild; however, that isn't always feasible. Animals unfit to be released are continually cared for.
Tours and Activities to Experience Las Pumas Rescue Center
No results found.How about something else?See all Guanacaste and Northwest tours
Frequently Asked Questions
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Osa Peninsula & Gulfo Dulce
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands