From a fairy-tale palace towering over the Rhine River to one of Germany’s oldest forts, there are a number of impressive medieval castles to explore outside Frankfurt and they each make for a great day trip destination. Here are a few of the best.
Framed by the green slopes of the Taunus Mountains, Bad Nauheim has been a popular wellness center for more than 150 years, thanks to its natural mineral-rich springs. The historic spa town also boasts a place in rock ‘n’ roll music history—Elvis Presley was famously stationed there during his military service in 1958.
Most travelers come to Bad Nauheim to relax and unwind at one of the spa hotels, most of which offer mineral baths, saunas, and steam rooms, along with massages and spa treatments. While in town, pay a visit to the historic Sprudelhof Bathhouse complex, renowned for its distinctive Jugendstil architecture; hike to the 774-foot (236-meter) summit of Johannesberg mountain; and stroll around the Old Town, with its medieval buildings and many shops, restaurants, and cafés.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Outdoorsy travelers should head to the nearby Taunus Hills and Spessart Hills nature parks, which have excellent hiking and cycling trails.
- The historic center of Bad Nauheim is largely pedestrianized and easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Bad Nauheim has a selection of hotels, restaurants, and cafés, with options to suit all budgets.
How to Get There
Bad Nauheim is about 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of Frankfurt or an about 40-minute drive. Trains run from Frankfurt via Friedberg, a total journey time of about 30 minutes.
When to Get There
The town is busiest in July and August when advance recommendations are recommended, especially at the spas. Time your visit for annual festivities such as the Elvis Festival on August 16th (the anniversary of Elvis’ death), the Art Nouveau Festival in September, or the Rose Festival in July.
Day Trips from Frankfurt
Bad Nauheim is easy to visit on a day tour from Frankfurt but there are many other options for day-trippers. Explore the atmospheric Old Town of Hanau, the birthplace of Germany’s fairy-tale writing duo, the Brothers Grimm; head to the spa town of Baden-Baden in the Black Forest; or visit medieval Rothenburg ob der Tauber along the Romantic Road. Other options include Mainz, the French city of Strasbourg, and Heidelberg Castle.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Bad Nauheim?
What else should I know about attractions in Frankfurt?
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- Bad Homburg
- Palm Garden (Palmengarten)
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Bockenheimer Warte
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Senckenberg Natural History Museum (Naturmuseum Senckenberg)
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Römerberg Square
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)