From a fairy-tale palace towering over the Rhine River to one of Germany’s oldest forts, there are a number of impressive medieval castles to explore outside Frankfurt and they each make for a great day trip destination. Here are a few of the best.
Relaxation is king in Bad Homburg; for the ultimate indulgence, check into the famous Kur-Royal Day Spa, where treatments include thermal pools, mud baths, and massages. Couple it with a stroll through the surrounding Kurpark; a walking tour of the historic town to see landmarks such as Bad Homburg Castle and the Church of the Redeemer; or an evening at the Spielbank Casino. Nearby, the UNESCO World Heritage-listed ruins of Saalburg Roman fort are also worth a detour.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The historic center of Bad Homberg is largely pedestrianized and easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Bad Homberg has a large selection of hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, and streetside cafés, with options to suit all budgets.
- Bad Homberg is the birthplace of the world-famous Homberg Hat—visit one of the many hat shops in the Old Town to pick one up as a souvenir.
- Advance bookings are recommended for the Kur-Royal Day Spa
How to Get There
Bad Homburg is about 14 miles (22 kilometers) north of Frankfurt or an about 25-minute drive. The easiest way to get there is to hop on the S-Bahn (S5)—it’s just a 15-minute ride from downtown Frankfurt.
When to Get There
The town is busiest in July and August when advance recommendations are recommended, especially at the spas. Time your visit for annual festivities such as the Lantern Festival in September or the winter Christmas markets to experience the town at its most atmospheric.
Spa Towns Around Frankfurt The Hessen (Hesse) region is home to some of Germany’s oldest and most renowned spa towns—30 in total, benefitting from the area’s abundant natural springs. Popular wellness destinations include Wiesbaden, famous for its hot springs and Roman baths; Bad Nauheim, where past guests have included Mark Twain and Empress Sisi; and the climatic resorts of Lindenfels, Gersfeld, and Willingen.
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- Botanical Garden Frankfurt (Palmengarten)
- Bockenheimer Warte
- Senckenberg Natural History Museum (Naturmuseum Senckenberg)
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Römerberg Square
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)