St Mark’s Anglican Church
If you are looking for a unique way to enjoy Florence in the evening, consider attending one of the opera performances or classical music concerts in the historic interiors of St. Mark’s Anglican Church. In addition to its regularly scheduled religious services, the church is one of the most celebrated concert venues in the city, hosting numerous opera, choral, and instrumental performances with local and visiting artists.
With only 150 seats, St. Mark’s offers an intimate space for experiencing live music. You can pair your evening performance with dinner at one of the restaurants in the surrounding Oltrarno neighborhood.
Things to know before you go
- As a place of worship, modest attire covering shoulders and knees is recommended.
- Seating is limited inside the church, so it’s a good idea to book tickets to concerts and performances in advance.
- Most performances begin at 8:30pm, so may not be suitable for younger children.
- There is wheelchair access to the ground-floor church.
- An evening performance here is especially memorable for music lovers.
How to get there
St. Mark’s Anglican Church is located in the Oltrarno neighborhood, just across the Santa Trinità bridge from most major sights in the historic center of Florence.
When to get there
The church is best visited during one of the many evening concerts and performances held all year; check the church’s calendar for dates and times.
The Anglican Church in Florence
The Anglican Church here dates back almost two centuries, with the first chaplaincy established in 1840 with the quiet opening of Holy Trinity Church, serving non-Italian members of the Church of England only. After Italy’s unification, people were able to worship freely, and the congregation erected the Holy Trinity building in Via Lamarmora. Today, St. Mark’s is the sole Church of England congregation in Florence, and forms a chaplaincy with congregations in Siena and Bologna.
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Umbria
- Ponte Santa Trinita
- Pitti Palace Palatine Gallery
- Pitti Palace (Palazzo Pitti)
- Arno River
- Vasari Corridor (Corridoio Vasariano)
- Auditorium Santo Stefano al Ponte Vecchio
- Ponte Vecchio
- Salvatore Ferragamo Museum
- Palazzo Davanzati
- Palazzo Strozzi
- Brancacci Chapel (Cappella Brancacci)
- Uffizi Galleries (Gallerie degli Uffizi)
- San Frediano
- Loggia dei Lanzi
- Orsanmichele Church and Museum (Chiesa e Museo di Orsanmichele)