Guests are encouraged to begin their visit at Station Europe, the visitors' center, situated in the original Brussels-Luxembourg train station building, where there's an augmented-reality model of the parliament campus. Other points of interest include the House of European History, a museum dedicated to Europe through the ages, and the Parlamentarium, a 360-degree cinema featuring multimedia exhibits and even the chance to participate in a parliament role-playing game (advanced booking required). When parliament is sitting, the public are allowed to watch proceedings from the public area of the Hemicycle, where debates are held.
Things to know before you go
- The European Parliament is a must-visit for anyone interested in politics.
- Visitors information is available in all 24 EU languages.
- Visitors should bring their passports, as ID documents are required for certain areas.
- The parliament buildings are wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
The EU Parliament is spread out across a few buildings. If you plan to start your visit at Station Europe, then your best bet is to take a bus to Luxembourg Square (bus numbers 34, 38, 71, 80, and 95 stop here); all the other EU buildings are within a 5-minute walk from here.
When to get there
Station Europe is open from 9am to 6pm on weekdays and from 10am to 6pm on weekends. The Parlamentarium and the House of European History follow the same hours, except on Mondays, when they open at 1pm. Hemicycle visits are offered on weekday mornings and in the afternoon from Monday through Thursday.
The European Flag
The EU's best-known symbol is its flag, a blue backdrop with 12 yellow stars arranged in a circle. It was originally designed back in 1955 and used as the flag of the Council of Europe. It was later adopted by the European Community (EC), a predecessor of the EU.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- Cinquantenaire Park (Parc du Cinquantenaire)
- Art & History Museum
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Sablon District
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Grand Sablon Square (Place du Grand Sablon)
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral