Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
This famous city square holds an important place in the history of Bordeaux. Built in the mid-18th century, it took 20 years to construct the stately buildings which curve around three sides, leaving the fourth open to the river Garonne.
In past years the central focus of the square was the fountain of the Three Graces, built in 1869. In recent years this focus has been shared with the popular Miroir d’Eau water feature that was installed in 2006. Whether you’re passing through the square on a guided walking tour, on a self-guided trip, or gliding past on a river cruise, you won’t fail to be impressed by the grand spectacle.
Things to know before you go
- The Place de la Bourse is a great spot for photographers, especially at night when the city lights reflect in the Miroir d’Eau water feature.
- The square is wheelchair-accessible.
- Learn more about the history of commerce in Bordeaux with a guided walking tour.
How to get there
Place de la Bourse is right in the center of Bordeaux. There are many ways to get there: on foot, by bike, by city tram (stop Place de la Bourse, Line C), or by electric buggy, which can be hired in town for easy sightseeing.
When to get there
The Place de la Bourse is a public space, open 24 hours a day. It’s a major city attraction and can be crowded during the day, especially at weekends and during summer vacation weeks.
Visit the Cité du Vin
The region around Bordeaux has been producing wine for almost 2,000 years. You can learn all about the magic of the grape the Cité du Vin, a huge museum/theme park dedicated to all things wine. Test your senses with the different wine-making scents then head to the top floor to enjoy a glass of wine paired with great views of the city.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Port of Bordeaux
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Porte Cailhau
- Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Grand Theatre
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Pont de Pierre
- Porte de Bourgogne
- Grosse Cloche
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Basilica of St. Michael (Basilique St. Michel)