Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux)
The Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts offers self-guided and guided tours as well as special activities for children and workshops for adults. Save on admission with the Bordeaux Metropole City Pass, which includes admission to many of Bordeaux’s top museums and attractions as well as unlimited use of public transportation.
Day trips to Bordeaux often leave from Paris and include round-trip train travel and visits to other Bordeaux area attractions like the St. Andre Cathedral, the Place de la Bourse, and the UNESCO-listed medieval village of Saint Emilion.
Things to know before you go
- The museum is a must-visit for Picasso and Delacroix fans.
- Admission is free for visitors under the age of 18
- Admission is free with the Bordeaux Metropole City Pass.
- The museum is wheelchair-accessible and there are designated accessible parking right in front of the museum.
How to get there
The Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts is made up of two separate exhibition spaces: the Musée des Beaux-Arts and the Galerie des Beaux Arts. Both are located in central Bordeaux within a 5-minute walk from each other. To get there, take tram line A or B to the Palais de Justice or bus lines 4, 5, 6, 15, 16, or 56 to the Galerie des Beaux-Arts station.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, except for Tuesdays and holidays. Admission is free on the first Sunday of the month. Visit in the late afternoon if you want to enjoy the museum without the crowds.
The Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts Collections
The museum is home to both a permanent collection featuring European paintings and sculptures from the Renaissance through the 19th century and temporary exhibits displaying local artists and classics on loan from other galleries. Museum highlights include pieces by Picasso, Bonnard, Matisse, and Delacroix and paintings looted during the French Revolution.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Place Gambetta
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Saint-Seurin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Seurin)
- Grand Theatre
- Grosse Cloche
- Port of Bordeaux
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Chartreuse Cemetery (Cimetiere de la Chartreuse)
- Porte Cailhau
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Palais Gallien