Rocher des Doms
A rocky spur on the left bank of the Rhône, Rocher des Doms is a peaceful space in the heart of Avignon city. Its panoramic terrace and charming gardens allow you enjoy a different side of Avignon, away from the main tourist attractions.The landscaped gardens and ponds were laid out in the 1830s, although the history of this rock is much older–signs of neolithic settlements have been found here and the rock was also settled by the Romans when they first arrived in the area. To explore Aivgnon to the fullest, consider booking in a private tour with an experienced guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There are toilet facilities and a cafe-snack bar in the gardens.
- The gardens are free to enter.
- Note that dogs are not permitted.
- The gardens are wheelchair accessible–access is via a fairly steep slope.
- Walk to the panoramic terrace for great photo opportunities.
How to Get There
The Rocher des Doms is close to Avignon’s main attractions: the Palais des Papes and the Pont d’Avignon. You can walk up the hill from town, or jump on the Petit Train for a fee, which will whisk you to the top of the hill.
When to Get There
The Rocher des Doms gardens are open from dawn until dusk all year round. The gardens make for a nice shady escape on hot summer afternoons; you can buy ice creams and cold drinks at the snack bar near the duck pond.
Stroll the Pont d’Avignon
Immortalized in the words of a French folk song, the Pont d’Avignon (or Pont Saint-Bénézet) has been part of the city's landscape since the 12th century. The truncated bridge can be visited as part of a guided tour of the city, and personal audio guides provided on site allow you to explore at your own pace.
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Little Palace Museum (Musée du Petit Palais)
- Avignon Cathedral (Cathedrale Notre-Dame des Doms)
- St. Benezet Bridge (Pont d'Avignon)
- Rhône River
- Les Halles Market
- Pont du Gard
- Les Baux-de-Provence
- Lavender Museum (Musee de la Lavande)
- Montmajour Abbey (Abbaye de Montmajour)
- Senanque Abbey (Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque)
- Church of St. Trophime (Eglise St-Trophime)