Las Capuchinas (Convento de Las Capuchinas)
Construction of Las Capuchinas convent began in 1731 and was completed in 1736. The last women’s convent founded in Antigua, Guatemala, it was abandoned less than half a century later, when the 1773 earthquake scared its 28 occupants to move to a safer spot. Fortunately the damage was not catastrophic. Today, visitors to the convent can explore the grounds, including the gardens, circular tower, bathing halls, and private cells of the nuns.
Colonial Antigua day tours from Guatemala City and San Salvador, El Salvador, visit the convent and Antigua’s other top attractions, and include round-trip transportation.
Things to Know Before You Go
Las Capuchinas is a must-see for art and architecture lovers and history buffs.
Set aside time to visit the Capuchinas Museum (Museo de Capuchinas), located on the convent’s second floor.
Head to the rooftop to check out an amazing view of the town.
Day tours from San Salvador are approximately 14 hours long.
The convent building is not accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The convent is located on the corner of 2a Avenida Norte and 2a Calle Oriente in Antigua. If you’re staying in town, it’s an easy walk to the convent. Antigua is 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Guatemala City, a 75- to 90-minute drive.
When to Get There
The Convento de las Capuchinas is open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. It’s a popular spot for weddings, though tourists need not worry, as these events typically take place outside of regular visiting hours.
Set aside some time to visit the Capuchinas Museum, a colonial art museum located on the second floor of the Convento de Las Capuchinas. The museum displays a large number of historical pieces, mostly religious art, from different Antigua churches and convents, including the Church of the Society of Jesus (Compañía de Jesús) and Santa Clara Convent (Convento Santa Clara).
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- ChocoMuseo Antigua
- Jade Factory and Museum (Jade Maya)
- Casa Santo Domingo (Monasterio de Santo Domingo)
- Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
- La Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- Antigua Central Park (Parque Central)
- Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial)
- Palace of the Captains General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)
- Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross)
- Santa Catalina Arch (Arco de Santa Catalina)
- Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Antigua City Hall (Palacio del Ayuntamiento)
- Pacaya Volcano